MY STORY: EXTERNSHIP

EXTERNSHIP, HOW DOES IT FEEL?

 

How does it feel?

So here I am in the final year of my bachelor's degree. Studying nutrition was one of the hardest things in my life. Studying all that biochemistry, nutrition, and dietetics was challenging. You know how it is; you feel proud after every successful part of your life, especially if you had a hard time.





The first day at Jalil Hospital felt great. It's actually the biggest building in Yasuj City. Our class was divided into two major groups. Our group, containing 14 students, was supposed to be at this hospital for 4 weeks. This group of 14 people is divided into 4 minor groups that each must spend one week in each of the 4 departments. The departments were: ICU, internal, dialysis, and surgery.
My first thought? I haven't learned anything in 3 years! Continue with me to find out why.Our group consisted of four members, all of whom had a good relationship. The ICU department is at level 2, so we headed there and suddenly there was an iron door ahead of us. You should ring a bell so that they check everyone who wants to enter. Eventually, we entered the department, and good lord, it's quiet. There were actually 2 ICU rooms on the second level, but we were only allowed in ICU-2. The room had 12 beds, and each bed had a nurse. Actually, it wasn't always that quiet, especially when some one was about to expire. Yes I know! The word expire hurts. I began my thing at bed 6. There was a young man who came in for multiple trauma (M.T.) after a severe accident. Remember when I said I felt like I hadn't learned anything? Here it was that feeling again. I checked the patient's profile and realized I couldn't read it! It was written in a mixed language of Persian and English. This wasn't the worst part, no! Although the file was a mixture of two languages with medical terms, it was also written in the worst possible handwriting. It wasn't just me or my friends; even some of the nurses couldn't tell you what the hell was written in some of the files! But I think it's OK as I learned to read most of the files by gaining more experience, and even if I couldn't read one page, there were always more reports from the same day on the next pages, so there was no need to worry after two days.

Enough story, after all I’m not here to tell you exactly what happened every day. All I want to tell you is that being a medical student in any field is not an easy task but there is a feeling about it that I think no one can explain it to you. A sense similar to what you feel when you help an old person. It feels really wonderful when you help a patient with the knowledge you gained during these years.


I Hope this post entertained you and helped you during your journey.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Difference between men & women in using Sports supplements ?

Dietary fibres

ARE SUGAR-FREE PRODUCTS SAFE ?